Sunday, October 2, 2011

Open topic 2: What makes "chorus" worth to me

As I mentioned in my self-introduction, I love to sing as on of my hobby. It makes me happy in both ways, singing alone for self-sufficient or practice and singing with others in choir. I will write here particularly latter one, singing with someone other.

Chorus, it has been close to me in my whole life. That is mainly because my mother has been a choir as Soprano since she was in high school student. She love chorus as she joined new chorus team influenced by I joined ICU Glee Club. When I come back to my home, what I hear right after I open the door is her singing voice or song she is practicing. In this way my home is filled with chorus songs. However my younger sister does Shorinji Kenpo少林寺拳法 in her high school, she loves to sing at chorus festival held in her school.^^ I don't know whether my father has been a choir, but he obviously likes to sing.

I was a member of ICUHS's chorus club, and now I am a member of ICU Glee Club.
How does the activity CHORUS catch my family's heart? What makes chorus so fascinate to us?

First, chorus is never organized by one person. At least 2 persons are needed to do this activity. In addition, if it is possible, enough numbers are required in each songs because chorus songs have separated parts. For example, there are songs which have 4 parts or even 16 parts!
When there are too many parts, choir have to sing one own part for themselves which is like ensemble. It helps to practice to have confidence to sing independently and to know how own voice sounds in the chorus.
In the other many cases, people sing one part with other members. Here the effort and technique to fit own voice to others' voice. There are amount time of practice before they are able to mix their voice into one voice(sounds like one person sings).
Plus, there are not only choirs but also conductor and some times pianist. Member of Glee Club "Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass, Conductor, Pianist. SATBCP creates songs!."

As I wrote above, choirs spend amount of time staying together to practice. There are human-to-human communication through advicing each other and getting to know each person's character or behavior in both personality and voice. Good relationship among those people creates good harmony, so people naturally get along well in the chorus team.

Second, every songs are organized by amazing lyrics and melodies. Almost all of the cases, these two are done by different persons. For members, what different with when they sing alone is that everyone has each opinion and image they get from the song. They read lyrics and share their images and feelings to discuss. It is fruitful to lead choirs one direction and gather their feeling up. If there are concerts, for example case of ICU Glee, members write motivation sheet to spell what impression they want to give audience or what they want to tell and share through the concert out.
Through steps, little by little members colour their song by themselves directing to their aims. It includes analyze of lyrics, or other efforts members have made.


Chorus have been given me so many precious oppoturnities to meet. Especially, everyone in the Glee Club is kind and talkative, and what is important, care and support each other.
It sometimes, quite few times suffers me when the club is going to do concert and I cannot join the practices for a long time because of my schedule. I experienced it seriously at last concert. Even though, I want to continue to join the club because I love singing and people.
I can state clearly that I love everyone I met through chorus activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment